Milan Design Week starts next week (8-13 April 20014), when the city comes alive with an unimaginable number of design events and exhibitions. Here COVER offers a rough guide to some of best carpet and textiles displays that will be on in town.
1. Temporary Museum for New Design at Superstudio Più featuring by Henzel: Superstudio Più is an exhibition space for everything from art and design to fashion and entertainment. This year by Henzel will be showing new rugs from the Diamond Dust/Nordic Raw collection and there will be an exclusive debut of two rugs from the recent project by Henzel Studios Collaborations, one piece by Helmut Lang and another carpet by Anselm Reyle. After reporting on the project in the last issue of COVER we cannot wait to see the rugs! Superstudio Più – Via Tortona 27, Milan
2. EDIT by designjunction featuring COVER presents Jan Kath: For the second year running, designjunction will present EDIT in Milan during the Salone del Mobile, showcasing over 20 premier global brands set against the historic backdrop of Palazzo Morando, in the heart of Milan’s fashion district. For EDIT by designjunction COVER present Jan Kath, who will be showing new designs from the Spacecrafted and Erased Heritage collections. Not to be missed! EDIT by designjuntion, La Pelota, Via Palermo
3. Salone Internazionale del Mobile: The 53rd edition of the Salone Internazionale del Mobile will feature Limited Edition, Bolon, Kasthall Loloey Carpets and Rugs, and Danskina. Kristiina Lassus will show rugs on the stands of Gallotto & Radice and Giulio Marelli while nanimarquina will debut the Rabari Collection designed by Doshi Levien and Golran will present the new Lake carpets, designed by the Raw Edges. I+I’s stand will feature the new Wild Furs collection, which we reported on in the current issue of COVER. Salone Internazionale del Mobile, Milan Fairgrounds, Rho
4. Paola Lenti: new indoor and outdoor furniture collections will be shown off by Paola Lenti in a magnificent Renaissance setting. Paola Lenti, Chiostri dell’Umanitaria, via Daverio 7
5. Studio Formafantasma: Studio Formafantasma will present ‘De Natura Fossilium’ – a new body of work that celebrates the culture of lava in the Mount Etna and Stromboli regions of Sicily, two of the last active volcanoes in Europe. Studio Formafantasma, Palazzo Clerici, Via Clerici, 5
6. Ventura Lambrate: The Ventura Projects are curated exhibition areas dedicated to present international designers, design studios, design labels and brands, design institutions and galleries. The 5th edition of the event features a vast array of displays at a different locations including Edelkoort Exhibitions showing FETISHISM at Via Ventura 15 and MINDCRAFT14 at Via Ventura 16, a show of Danish craft and design including Street Print by Fabricius Møller. Ventura Lambrate
7. Linteloo: Italian designer Paola Navone will transform the LINTELOO showroom into an exotic, African-inspired installation including the imaginative Italian designer’s new wooden home accessories and furniture pieces. Navone has created wax-block-print upholstery fabrics for the cushiony Jan’s New Sofa, the multifunctional Jan’s New Elements and the inviting Paola sofa.
8. Glithero: The design duo were commissioned in 2013 to weave fabrics from music organ punch cards. By the translation of one craft language into another, they create a window into the world of the craftsman’s practice whilst revealing issues about the preservation of knowledge, wisdom and skill of craftsmen in general. The two resulting projects, ‘Woven Songs’ and ‘Playing Cards’ are now presented together in one exhibition at Lambretto Art Project in Lambrate, Milan. LAP (Lambretto Art Project) Via Privata Cletto Arrighi 19.
9. Memphis: In this exhibition icons of the ’80s parade, like the playful characters of the “ephemeral decade” of optimism and lack of prejudice. It is a visual tribute of laser graphics and on the occasion 1A Classe presents a travelling bag designed by Nathalie Du Pasquier. Refettorio delle Stelline, Corso Magenta 59, Milano
10. cc-tapis: The Milan-based rug firm will be showing several new carpets additions to their collections including the Dipped collection, Ishimara capsule collection, Cross me (k)not, New Models Signature Collection, New Models Architectural Collection and New Models Contemporary Collection. cc-tapis, Via San Simpliciano, 6
11. Vartian: Handmade carpets as never seen before! Vartian will present the highlights of their collections at the showroom of ALIAS, Corso Monforte 19, Milano.
12. Altai: Don’t forget to visit the display at one of Milan’s coolest venues for rugs, textiles and design. Via Pinamonte da Vimercate 6
13. Bokja will be exhibiting at Spazio Rossana Orlandi, via Matteo Bandelo
14. Kvadrat: With various projects going on across town the firm will be busy during Milan. The new Kvadrat/Raf Simons textiles will be showing at Spotti Milan, Viale Piave 27. The company’s Milan-based showroom at Corso Monforte 15, will be the location of a special installation by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec to celebrate their first collection of knitted textiles for Kvadrat. In celebration of Divina, one of Kvadrat’s most iconic textiles, the company has invited 22 international designers to reinterpret the fabric in the context of contemporary design and to create a one-of-a-kind piece showing at Arcade, Via San Gregorio 43 / Via Casati 32. Plus Danskina is presenting the first collection of Hella Jongerius as Design Director at Salone.
15. ELEMENTS – A Collection of Rugs by Allegra Hicks at Alberto Levi Gallery. Inspired by the elements, Allegra Hicks’ latest carpet collection is inspired by aspects of Earth, Fire, Air and Water, the four primordial elements considered in antiquity to be the very essence of the world. Alberto Levi Gallery, Via San Maurilio, 24